All the latest Everton FC news from leading sources.


Author

The Guardian - page 78

The Guardian has 971 articles published.

David Unsworth tells Everton’s players they owe Goodison Park a performance

by

• Roberto Martínez suggested Unsworth take charge of the team
• ‘A good man has lost his job and that’s always difficult,’ he says

David Unsworth has told Everton’s players they owe Goodison Park a performance on Sunday as he revealed it was Roberto Martínez who suggested he manage the team against Norwich City.

Unsworth, Everton’s Under-21s coach, is in temporary charge at Goodison following Martínez’s sacking on Thursday. The former Everton defender took his first training session with the senior squad on Friday and will select the side to face Norwich in conjunction with the first-team coach Duncan Ferguson, the Under-18s manager John Ebbrell and Joe Royle, who now works with the club’s academy players.

Related: Ronald Koeman likely to dash Everton’s hopes by staying at Southampton

Continue reading…

Ronald Koeman likely to dash Everton’s hopes by staying at Southampton

by

• Manager is top of shortlist to succeed Roberto Martínez
• Dutchman to discuss future with Saints next week

Ronald Koeman is likely to dash Everton’s hopes that he will succeed Roberto Martínez after indicating that he wants to stay at Southampton.

The Dutchman had been top of the shortlist to succeed Martínez at Goodison Park but told a press conference that he will sit down with the Saints board next week with a view to discussing his current deal before he goes on holiday.

Continue reading…

Twelve goals at Goodison Park (and two referees): archive, 13 May 1935

by

13 May 1935: Football League team wins 10-2 in a charity match for the King’s Jubilee trust fund

Football League 10, Irish and Welsh 2

What’s in a name? A great deal in football, it seems. A regrettably thin crowd went to Goodison Park, Liverpool, on Saturday to see two fine teams play a most entertaining match for the King’s Jubilee Trust Fund. Had these teams been labelled “Liverpool” and “Everton” and the match been called “F.A. Cup, sixth-round tie,” the ground would hardly have held the people eager to see it.

Continue reading…

Everton hope to tempt Ronald Koeman with lure of record transfer budget

by

• Roberto Martínez fired after three seasons in the job
• Blues draw up a working shortlist of Dutchmen

Everton want Ronald Koeman to succeed Roberto Martínez and hope to lure the Southampton coach with the promise of the biggest transfer budget in their history.

Farhad Moshiri, Everton’s new major shareholder, sacked Martínez on Thursday and has earmarked Southampton’s manager as his preferred replacement. The British-Iranian billionaire faces a challenge to prise the 53-year-old from St Mary’s, however, even with Koeman yet to commit to a new contract and having just over 12 months remaining on his deal.

Related: Roberto Martínez sacked by Everton after disappointing season

Related: Everton put Roberto Martínez out of his agony amid the Wigan parallels | Paul Wilson

Continue reading…

Everton prepare to lure Ronald Koeman with lure of record transfer budget

by

• Roberto Martínez fired after three seasons in the job
• Blues draw up a working shortlist of Dutchmen

Everton want Ronald Koeman to succeed Roberto Martínez and hope to lure the Southampton coach with the promise of the biggest transfer budget in their history.

Farhad Moshiri, Everton’s new major shareholder, sacked Martínez on Thursday and has earmarked Southampton’s manager as his preferred replacement. The British-Iranian billionaire faces a challenge to prise the 53-year-old from St Mary’s, however, even with Koeman yet to commit to a new contract and having just over 12 months remaining on his deal.

Related: Roberto Martínez sacked by Everton after disappointing season

Related: Everton put Roberto Martínez out of his agony amid the Wigan parallels | Paul Wilson

Continue reading…

Everton put Roberto Martínez out of his agony amid the Wigan parallels | Paul Wilson

by

Despite a successful first season at Goodison, the Spaniard’s tactical failings gradually alienated Everton fans and by the end of his three-year reign he appeared to lose the dressing room too

Roberto Martínez cut such a lonely and despondent figure in the television interview studio following the 3-0 defeat at Sunderland on Wednesday night it is no surprise Everton have released him early and spared him the ignominy of facing scornful home supporters in the final game of the season against Norwich on Sunday.

The manager lost the fans some time ago and judging by the last couple of abject performances, lost the dressing room, too. The match at Sunderland, the second time in a week that Everton had provided only token resistance to opponents writing their own headlines, came three years to the day since Martínez’s greatest triumph, the FA Cup win with Wigan Athletic that brought him to the Merseyside club’s attention.

Related: Sunderland safe after Lamine Koné double sinks crumbling Everton

Continue reading…

Roberto Martínez sacked by Everton after disappointing season

by

• Spaniard spared indignity of further fans’ protests
• Martínez had three years left on his contract

Roberto Martínez has been sacked by Everton and the club will formally announce the manager’s departure once compensation terms are agreed.

Everton’s new major shareholder, Farhad Moshiri, decided to end Martínez’s three-year tenure following talks with the Goodison Park hierarchy on Thursday and has begun the search for a successor.

Related: Frank de Boer to leave Ajax after agent says Dutchman would love Everton job

Continue reading…

Everton to sack Roberto Martínez once compensation terms agreed

by

• Manager expected to be dismissed before Sunday’s match
• Everton have one win from their past 10 games

Roberto Martínez will be sacked by Everton once compensation terms are agreed.

The Everton manager is expected to lose his job before the final game of the campaign against Norwich City on Sunday following a dire run of form and a second poor Premier League season.

Related: Frank de Boer to leave Ajax after agent says Dutchman would love Everton job

Continue reading…

Roberto Martínez to attend Everton’s end-of-season awards as sack looms

by

• Manager on brink of losing job at Goodison Park
• Spaniard could go before Norwich game on Sunday

Roberto Martínez is scheduled to attend Everton’s end-of-season awards night on Thursday despite being on the brink of losing his job at Goodison Park.

Related: Frank de Boer to leave Ajax after agent says Dutchman would love Everton job

Continue reading…

Frank de Boer to leave Ajax – video report

by

Dutch manager Frank de Boer is to leave his club of over five years, Ajax, the club has announced after a 1-1 draw against De Graafschap on 8 May, which meant Ajax failed to win the Dutch title. De Boer will leave the side after completing a tour of China. UK media have suggested that De Boer might replace Everton manager Roberto Martínez

Continue reading…

Sam Allardyce hails Sunderland’s escape from relegation – video

by

The Sunderland manager, Sam Allardyce, is jubilant after his team avoided relegation from the Premier League with a 3-0 win against Everton at the Stadium of Light on Wednesday. Allardyce says the win shows how far his team have come in the past year. Sunderland’s win consigned Newcastle United to the Championship

Continue reading…

Frank de Boer to leave Ajax after agent says Dutchman would love Everton job

by

• De Boer to go with year on contract and says he is unsure of next move
• Ajax imploded in title race on final day of the season in Holland

The Ajax coach Frank de Boer is to leave the Dutch side after five and a half years in charge, the club announced on Thursday.

Related: Sunderland safe after Lamine Koné double sinks crumbling Everton

Continue reading…

Go to Top